Thursday, September 27, 2012

WHO AM I ? : Chloe Yu-Ling Breitman-Mendel

CHLOE YU-LING BREITMAN-MENDEL

Fall 2012


1: Who am I?
Some people remain clueless forever in knowing who they are, but I will always be the big sister who loves to cook Thanksgiving dinner, read nutrition labels, and dance to The Cure in my underwear.

2: What do you do and what project are you currently working on?
I constantly study aesthetic. I enjoy counting the number of bricks on a building if I find the building compelling.  I have an obsession to understand beautiful things and to be surrounded by beauty. I optimize things aesthetically. At the moment I study at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and have co-launched a label called Animal Royalty. Besides Animal Royalty, I work with Reddymade Design, bake gluten-free vegan desserts, and visit my father for lunch as often as I can.

3: Where are you from and where are you going?
I was born in Los Angeles, raised in NYC, currently live in Chicago, and going where my heart takes me.

4: Who is your biggest hero?
I don’t think I have a hero. I try to compete with myself everyday.

5: What book is your bible?
The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. I feel like Sisyphus pushing that boulder up the hill everyday. I am in hope that this feeling will pass soon.

6: What are some things you love? And some things you hate?
I love chocolate and I hate unnecessary comments.

7: What is your raison d’être?
To help my loved ones be the best they can be.

8: What is your favorite color?
That changes all the time. Right now I am in a pastel mode. Bring on the light greys, pale blues, and orange hues.

9: Who is your favorite comic book superhero?
I’ll admit to being the geek girl who read comic books. I liked Spiderman more than one should but I can’t say he was my favorite superhero. I guess I’ll say Thor from Marvel. No wait, now I want to say TINTIN. Yes TINTIN is my favorite. Does he count as a superhero?

10: What is your favorite NYC hot spot?
My favorite spot is Neta. It is a superb Japanese small plate restaurant nestled in the West Village.

11: What turns you on?
I think it’s hot when someone points out something I would have never thought of. I get interested and want to hear more.

12: What would the last question of this questionnaire be if you were the one asking?
Tell me about your parents. Both my parents are very talented and I respect both of them as pioneers in their fields. I am so grateful to be apart of such a fruitful family and life. My mother runs a beautiful tattoo sportswear line called YMX by Yelloman. It super functional and fashionable sportswear that doesn’t fall into the boring stereotype of yoga clothes. It’s a really unique line. Might I also mention she is the mother of seven children in NYC. My father is designer for J.Mendel, a fifth generation couture house. He is a very dedicated artist and holds the warmest heart.



Chloé Yu-Ling Breitman-Mendel is a family driven girl raised in the fashion world of NYC. Artistically motivated, she studies at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and approaches life with a renaissance attitude. This summer she co-launched the brand Animal Royalty and works with the design firm Reddymade Design in NYC. Sometimes known for her unique fashion style and love for baking you can find her at the farmers market, Society Library, or local coffee shop. Her motto is: “Do what you love, and do it right.”

LINKS:
Short film by Reddymade Design featuring Chloé
Reddy Made Design
Tumblr Page
Twitter: @chloeybm
Animal Royalty

Questions by PMc Magazine

Edited by Ceara Maria Burns
Photography by Olivia Hall, Courtesy of xoJane.com
Design by Jillian Mercado
Contact Jillian Mercado if you’re interested in becoming a “Who Am I?”


Caption:
Chloe Yu-Ling Breitman-Mendel, Winter 2012, Photography by Sacha Mendel

No comments:

Post a Comment